Mark your calendars for the 7th annual Small Business Saturday that will be celebrated in Rolla on Saturday, November 26. On this day, consumers can play a part in supporting our local economy and small business owners by shopping and dining local businesses.
By shopping local and small, the majority of the money stays within our community. Small business owners support our community, our charities, create jobs, and we appreciate each and every one of them. Small Business Saturday provides us an opportunity to honor and celebrate the hardworking business owners that are fueling our local economy.
The Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce would like to invite the public to attend a special ribbon cutting on Monday, November 21 at 10:00 a.m. at the corner of 7th & Pine. During this ribbon cutting Mayor Lou Magdits will be presenting a special Small Business Saturday proclamation.
For more information on this effort, or for a list of local businesses, please contact the Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce at 573-364-3577 or www.rollachamber.org.
November 27, 2010 was the first ever (nationally celebrated) Small Business Saturday. This day was created to celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S. It is a national effort to help independently owned merchants gain more exposure during one of the biggest shopping weekends of the year.
- There are an estimated 28 million small businesses in America.
- Small businesses account for 55% of all jobs in the US.
- Small business owners are our neighbors. They care about our community and give back to it. They support our local charities, causes, and youth sports.
Small Business Saturday celebrates the American Dream. Shop small on Saturday, November 28 and support our local entrepreneurs.
Each year the Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce organizes Rolla Unwrapped as an effort to shop local and save as we kick off the holiday season. Rolla Unwrapped is traditionally held the second Saturday of November. This year, over 30 businesses will be hosting discounts galore and refreshments while you shop for that perfect gift. Maybe you are looking for an item for a friend, family member, co-worker, or maybe something for yourself. No matter what you are looking for you are sure to find it right here in Rolla!
Forget the hustle and bustle of the city! Make this the best Christmas season by supporting local businesses and take advantage of discounts all weekend long!
As a consumer we have the power to shape our community and make a difference. Every time we open our wallets to a business, we are saying, I like what you do. Keep doing it! When we shop our local community, we are saying YES to a strong vibrant local economy.
Rolla area businesses employ local people, use local services and strengthen our local economy. When we shop in these stores the businesses and their employees re-circulate the dollar back into the community. Research has shown that 73% of a dollar spent in a locally owned business remains in a community; 43% of a dollar spent at a national chain store. Whereas no amount of the dollars spent on the internet, or outside the area we live and work in helps to insure the prosperity of the community that is the most important to each of us. Zero return on investment.
During the month of May, the Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce is encouraging Phelps County residents to shop local and participate in our Shop Rolla Giveaway. Shop Five Rolla businesses May 1-31 and turn in your receipts to the Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce office and you will be entered into a chance to win $1,000.
Official Contest Rules & Regulations:
- Purchases must be made during the official contest timeline, May 1-31, 2015.
- Each entry shall consist of five original receipts from five separate locations (no minimum purchase necessary). No photocopied receipts will be accepted. Multiple entries per person will be accepted. Entries may not include returns, utilities or lottery tickets. Entries with alcohol or tobacco products only, will not be accepted.
- Entries must be at the Chamber office no later than Wednesday, June 3 by 4:30 p.m.
- Participants must be 18 or older by April 30, 2015.
- Participants must live within Phelps County. (Winners will be required to provide valid ID and proof of residency.)
- Receipts must be from businesses located within the city limits of Rolla, MO.
Click here to download an entry form or stop in the Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce office located at 1311 Kingshighway.